WEBA Minutes 10/8/2018October 12, 2018
WEBA Minutes 12/11/18December 13, 2018
West End Business Association Minutes November 2018
- SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY: Blaze Yoga and Pilates is hosting their annual Open House with free classes all day on Saturday, November 24th. What’s your business up to for SBS 2018? Submit your events, sales, and more to our social media team at the bottom of every WEBA email.
- TOTE AROUND TOWN: We’re thrilled to include the West End in Tote Around Town for the first time this year on Saturday, December 8th.
Here’s how it works. Each participating business gets a stack of custom “Tote” bags. Every customer who spends over $20 in your store on 12/8 gets a Tote Around Town bag with a tote passport. Each participating business you visit will stamp your passport. Passports are then passed in for a chance to win one of two gift baskets full of gifts from more than 58 participating local businesses (HUGE!). The two baskets are given to one randomly drawn passport and a drawing between those with the most stamps.
How to participate:
- Deliver a check for $125 and two quality gift basket items to Tanya Hart at Oomph Salon by THIS FRIDAY.
- Get ready for a great day supporting small businesses. There’s still time to get your business involved. Email Tanya Hart of Oomph Salon today!
- GINGERBREAD HOUSE CONTEST: This annual event is coming up! The show opens on November 30th at Discover Portsmouth. It’s a really fun team-building activity for participating businesses, individuals.
Parties interested in participating must register by THIS SATURDAY. To apply, visit Discover Portsmouth.
- FORMAL ORGANIZATION: We were limited in our ability to sell tees to an extent because we can’t currently accept credit cards. It’s possible to get a tax ID number as a volunteer organization to be able to take credit cards next year and open a bank account. Monique and Keith are going to work with SIS on bringing this to fruition.
- ISLINGTON COMMONS: New Construction is coming down by the Bread Box. The existing white houses are being demolished and 11 units built starting at $800k.
- CATE STREET DEVELOPMENT: Thirty-one units are under construction on Cate Street. Units will start at $599k.
- CHINBURG APARTMENTS: Chinburg has broken ground on their 92-unit buildings in the old DPW lot.
- WEST END YARDS: Waterstone Properties recently purchased the Frank Jones parcel and are planning to build “West End Yards”. This construction project will include a road pass-through from Cate Street to 1-Bypass. This is projected to include ~300 apartments.
- STAFFING CHALLENGES: The buzz in the West End and beyond is that small businesses are struggling to fill their staffing needs. One big component is the lack of affordable housing in Portsmouth and parking challenges.
There’s a lot of development going on in the West End, but none of this represents workforce housing. Please consider your personal stance on the next workforce housing project in our area. In addition, please review and respond to the proposals for residential parking and more. Our community is shaped by the uplifted voices. Is yours heard?
- HOLIDAY POP-UP @ WHITE HERON Join our host, Jonathan Blakeslee, and a TON of local artists and artisans for a fun holiday pop-up shop on December 6th. LIVE MUSIC 7-9 pm!